Tattie Scones for Breakfast Week

Tuesday 29 January 2013
Last week (20th - 26th January) was Farmhouse Breakfast Week which is an annual celebration championing the importance of Breakfast. Throughout the week people across the country shared photos of their breakfasts taking part in #breakfastwatch on Twitter. I took up the challenge to "Shake Up Your Wake Up" and came up with the following. Alas I don't breakfast like a king every week but the challenge certainly reminded me of the sheer wealth of wonderful breakfast produce available.
SUNDAY - Coddled Egg and Smoked Salmon
MONDAY - Porridge (with salt) topped with Oatmeal
TUESDAY - Melon, Grapes, Coconut Yoghurt and Mini Weetabix
WEDNESDAY - Smoked Salmon and Scrambled Eggs
THURSDAY - Venison and Cranberry Sausages with Baked Beans
FRIDAY - (Burns Night) Haggis Butteries
A word about my eggs. They are free range from a local farm. Fernieflatt Farm. They come in a whole variety of shapes, sizes, textures and colours and quite often there is the excitement of a double yolker. Supermarket eggs just don't compare.
Bonus!
Fernieflatt Free Rangers on my Egg Skelter
I wanted to cook up something special for the final day of my breakfast challenge and was inspired by the Burns Night Stack of Marcus at Country Wood Smoke to try my hand at making tattie scones. The lovely @MissKazzieB obliged with her recipe and it was the perfect chance to try out the Griddle Pan I received at Christmas.
TATTIE SCONES
Makes 8 scones
200g mashed potato
25g butter
50g plain flour
1/4 tsp baking powder

Mash the butter into the potato (you may need to warm it if its leftovers)
Sift in the flour and baking powder and mix until thoroughly combined.
Divide into two balls and chill in the fridge.
Liberally flour your surface and roll out gently to form two circles about 1/4" thick.
Cut the circles into quarters and prick with a fork.
Heat a gridle or heavy frying pan.
Smear on some butter with kitchen roll.
Once hot cook scones for about 3-4mins on each side until golden brown.


I served my scones with Stornaway Black Pudding and a poached egg. FAB-U-LOS! Do give them a try. They are actually very easy to make and I'm pretty sure they will become a weekend breakfast regular.


3 comments

  1. Fantastic! I could go this cooked breakfast right now! Thanks for entering your tattie scones into the No Waste Food Challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these brekkies :)
    How funny, we have an eggskelter too, love ours
    Cheers
    Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love potato scones and mine never look anything like as nice as yours! I'll have to try adding baking powder next time. Thank you for that tip! :)

    ReplyDelete

Foodie Quine. Design by Mimi Hammill. Powered by Blogger.